Monday 15 August 2011

ROCKY ROAD COOKIES (GLUTEN FREE + VEGAN )

Whilst casually strolling down the baby section and aisles ( Dont tell /scare Mr bake n Beebz) of a pound shop (oh yep we are thrifty here at Bake n Beebz and love a bargain) I came across gluten free baby biscuits! Rusks, I went through a phase at university of comfort eating a boxes of rusks and dipping them into hot milk... mmm maybe I shoulda chugged a beer bong like everyone else.
Anyway, I had to buy em up, but it got me thinking what I could do with em, ya know stretch myself further than dipping those shortbread biccies in a hot coco.

And So... a ultimate cookie was born...  CHOCOLATE CHUNKS, MARSHMALLOWS AND CRUMBLED BISCUIT COMBINED IN CHOCOLATEY CHEWIE / FUDGEY COOKIES.
 I have yet to make a completely successful GF cookie. I tried, Ive failed but Ive still eaten up every crumbly experiment.   Until now... these are truly crispy on the outside edges, chewy, soft centered and taste like a decadent brownie in a cookie disguise.

 Pass me a glass o' milk stat.

I took this recipe and adapted it!

Ingrediants- to make 12 cookies.
  • 3/4 cup white Gluten-Free Flour Mix
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup soya spread (melted)
  • 1/4 cup  1 tbsp  milk (rice, soy, cow, etc)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup+ 1tsp granulated sugar
  • chocolate chunks or chips, mini marshmallows and gluten free crushed biscuits.
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. a baking tray with parchment or silicone paper.
  2. Combine the flour mix, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt. Mix thoroughly, being sure to work out any lumps of cocoa powder.
  3. In a separate big bowl, Combine the melted spread and milk, mixing with a whisk on medium speed, then add the vanilla and sugar. Mix for a further 20 seconds.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
  5. Scoop out the dough by heaping tablespoons and roll them in your hands to form balls, place onto tray and press down lightly.
  6. Bake in the center of the oven for 12 minutes, until just set. Do not overcook, as chocolate burns easily and the marshmallows will loose their shape. You also want the inside to remain chewy, not dry.
  7. Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before shoveling them over to a cooling rack.

6 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I think I may have to switch to a gluten free diet as I've been having some terrible problems lately, so I'll definitely be using your blog as foodie inspiration! I remember rusks, I think we ate them until we were like 14 years old haha.

    Love pundland too, I can't believe what you can get for a quid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I want to make these.

    Although I would suggest you recommend Dandies vegan marshmallows or else they are not vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the colors! I'm glad you were able to finally find a GF cookie recipe that works well for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete