So, after searching quite extensively, there really aren't many gluten free baked goodies/ dessert recipes out there on the big ol wide web. So this afternoon i took it upon my self to do some inventing/experimenting...
And so i bring to you...
STRAWBERRY DATE SHORTCAKE CRUMBLE SQUARES!
yep the name needs working on but it describes my baked treat adequately,
They have a short bread biscuit base, sticky sweet strawberry and date center and a crunchy, nutty crumble topping. I was a bit apprehensive and worried they may be a bit bland but they kinda tasted like a cross between a jammy dodger and one of those fig roll biscuits.
Completely fat free and gluten free and no processed sugar.
You will be amazed at how good these are. They’re low in everything, except flavour.
88calories per square.
Makes 12 servings (2''x2'')
crust and crumble topping
1 1/2 Cups of gluten free plain flour mix (i used doves)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
120g unsweetened apple sauce
2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener)
(add choice of chopped nuts for topping and or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon)
3/4 cup dates
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/4 cup water
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees or 350 F.
- First, chop dates and strawbs and throw them in to a pan with the water and simmer until mixture bubbles and dates have all mushed.
- In a bowl, sift flour, salt and baking powder. add puree and honey and rub until mixture is cumbley.
- Line a tin win foil and press 3/4 of crumb mixture in to the pan.
- Pour and smooth over date and strawberry puree.
- Add nuts to remainder of crumble mix and sprinkle over.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. remove and allow to cool and set completely before cutting up.
- Boil kettle, make cuppa, put feet up, tv on and enjoy your tea time treat.