Combining all my favourite flavours into one mighty baked good...Banana and peanut butter cupcakes with a chocolate fondant centre and topped with marshmellow frosting.
the ultimate combo ... peanut butter + bananas + chocolate = win.
recipe and tweeked it a little. I Made mine with yoghurt instead of added butter and half splenda/sugar.
Peanut Butter Banana Cupcakes
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar substitute like splenda
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup fat free vanilla yoghurt
2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, mashed
6 squares chocolate
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and peanut butter until fluffy. Beat in yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, followed by the bananas.
- With a spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Evenly distribute batter into 6 muffin cups and push in the squares of chocolate until they have disappered. bake in the centere of your oven for 15 minutes
- place a marshmellow on the tops of each cupcake and place back into oven to bake for a further 3 minutes
- Remove cakes from oven and gently push down each marshmellow until they are nicely squished. add a pinch of sprinkles and allow to cool.
Just after I took these pictures, in all my excitement I tripped up, knocked over a table and all the cakes went flying. cupcakes smushed :( Believe me its very difficult to scrape gooey marshmallow off the carpet but I can inform you the crumbs tasted nice.
Luckily 3 survived and they were very well recieved! all the family very much enjoyed them.
these are probably the best low fat cupcake i have ever made due to the addition of banana and yogurt they were most but the cupcake itself was tender and light, even and very fluffy. A good balance of banana nuttiness and not too sweet. Oh they would be incredible with a peanut butter or chocolate cream frosting... I will have to bake more now just to try out all the icing options!