Saturday 19 February 2011

Mini Zesty Carrot Cakes

I baked some more dog biscuits the other day, carrot and seedy ones. The smell drove me mad and ever since i have had a hankerin' for some carrot cake, well today my dreams came true.

I used a mixture of this and katie's recipe. Since im only really baking for myself (harry and beebz dont share this sweet tooth) i have adapted and halved the recipe.

Makes 5 big boy healthy cupcakes.
85 calories each (110 with generous amount of frosting)
( there are only 4 in the pictures because i had a cheeky warm as soon as i got em out of the oven.)
1/2 cup whole meal flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup of splenda
1/2 cup apple sauce/puree
1 egg
tsp baking powder
orange zest
1 large carrot
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt.

  • In a large mixing bowl mix  and thoroughly whisk up all wet ingredients.
  • grate carrot and orange zest and add to mix.
  • sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
  • carefully fold batter
  • spoon mixture in to muffin papers
bake at 180 degrees for 18- 20 minutes.
once cooled I sliced each cake in half and filled with a creamy filling. For the frosting i used half a package of fat free cream cheese and 2 tsp of splenda sweetner. dusted with icing sugar to finish.
this special one was topped with extra frosting and sprinkle with chopped almonds.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you! and thank you forgiving me the inspiration. i love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look beautiful and i'll bet they tasted divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Alice!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://bakenbeebz.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cupcakes are AMAZING!! My husband even ate one and he doesn't eat "diet rabbit" food!!! Keep up the great recipes! But this says bake at 180....do you mean 350??

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing. I did make these but they didn't turn out like yours. My oven was set at 180...did you mean 350? (sorry to bring it up but i want mine to look like yours, LOL ) Love your blog BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI! yes it should be 180*C or 350*F! goodluck with baking the next batch! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine don't look like that either! They're really ugly. Lol hmmm what did I do wrong? And they took a lonnnnggggggggg time to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. made these yesterday all gone very nice

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you mean "whole meal" flour?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whole meal is what my Irish Granny called whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whole meal is what my Irish Granny called whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can some other type of flour be substituted?

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are great, but when I calculated the nutritional facts, each cupcake came out to about 160 calories.. Just something to consider.

    ReplyDelete